[openstack-dev] [keystone] Depraction of the auth_token fragments

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:24:50 UTC 2015

On February 15, 2015 at 3:16:04 PM, Thomas Goirand (zigo at debian.org) wrote:
On 02/15/2015 02:56 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2015-02-14 16:48:01 -0800:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seen messages in the logs telling that we should move to the
>> identity_uri.
>>
>> I don't really like the identity_uri which contains all of the
>> information in a single directive, which means that a script that would
>> edit it would need a lot more parsing work than simply a key/value pair
>> logic. This is error prone. The fragments don't have this issue.
>>
>> So, could we decide to:
>> 1/ Not remove the auth fragments
>> 2/ Remove the deprecation warnings
>>

> Automation has tended away from parsing and editing files in place for
> a long time now. Typically you'd have a source of truth with all the
> values, and a tool to turn that into a URL during file generation. This
> isn't error prone in my experience.

That's truth for Chef / Puppet based deployments. But for what I do with
debconf, I do insist on editing only what's needed to a pre-existing
configuration file. And yes, it should be up to the packages to maintain
configuration files, not stuff like puppet / chef. If everyone is doing
what you wrote above, it's precisely because, up to now, packages were
not doing a good enough (configuration maintenance) work, which I intend
to fix in the near future.

As of right now, I'm able to deploy a full all-in-one server using only
debconf to configure the packages. This works pretty well! And I'm now
using that to run my tempest CI (with which I am having very decent
results).

So, let me just say that while I do not have a timeline on the removal of auth fragments, since it is deprecated assume that this should no longer be used if there is an alternative (which there is). I am willing to continue with the discussion on reversing course, but consider the deprecation notice the “far in advance” warning that they are going away (isn’t that what deprecation is?).

—Morgan