[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Fri Feb 13 15:33:21 UTC 2015

I was traveling for two days, and I miss a great thread like this. Go
figure! One comment in-line.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> names and I won't point fingers - yes, I don't have enough fingers to
> point based on the info I have. People that fall into the groups I'll
> mention below know that I'm talking to them.
>
> This email is dedicated to the openness of our community/project.
>
> ## Keep discussions open
>
> I don't believe there's anything wrong about kicking off some
> discussions in private channels about specs/bugs. I don't believe
> there's anything wrong in having calls to speed up some discussions.
> HOWEVER, I believe it's *completely* wrong to consider those private
> discussions sufficient. If you have had that kind of private
> discussions, if you've discussed a spec privately and right after you
> went upstream and said: "This has been discussed in a call and it's
> good to go", I beg you to stop for 2 seconds and reconsider that. I
> don't believe you were able to fit all the community in that call and
> that you had enough consensus.
>
> Furthermore, you should consider that having private conversations, at
> the very end, doesn't help with speeding up discussions. We've a
> community of people who *care* about the project they're working on.
> This means that whenever they see something that doesn't make much
> sense, they'll chime in and ask for clarification. If there was a
> private discussion on that topic, you'll have to provide the details
> of such discussion and bring that person up to date, which means the
> discussion will basically start again... from scratch.
>
> ## Mailing List vs IRC Channel
>
> I get it, our mailing list is freaking busy, keeping up with it is
> hard and time consuming and that leads to lots of IRC discussions. I
> don't think there's anything wrong with that but I believe it's wrong
> to expect *EVERYONE* to be in the IRC channel when those discussions
> happen.
>
> If you are discussing something on IRC that requires the attention of
> most of your project's community, I highly recommend you to use the
> mailing list as oppose to pinging everyone independently and fighting
> with time zones. Using IRC bouncers as a replacement for something
> that should go to the mailing list is absurd. Please, use the mailing
> list and don't be afraid of having a bigger community chiming in in
> your discussion.  *THAT'S A GOOD THING*
>
> Changes, specs, APIs, etc. Everything is good for the mailing list.
> We've fought hard to make this community grow, why shouldn't we take
> advantage of it?
>
> ## Cores are *NOT* special
>
> At some point, for some reason that is unknown to me, this message
> changed and the feeling of core's being some kind of superheros became
> a thing. It's gotten far enough to the point that I've came to know
> that some projects even have private (flagged with +s), password
> protected, irc channels for core reviewers.
>
> This is not right and I don't believe "core reviewers" (note I did not
just say core, but core reviewer) are special in any way. In fact, they are
likely less special because they have a huge responsibility: Reviewing code
in a timely manner and merging changes to close bugs and features! This is
nothing special other than much more additional work. I think more projects
need to do a better job of ensuring their core reviewers are actually
reviewing code, and it's a good idea to in fact cycle core reviewers in and
out more frequently. Otherwise, a sense of entitlement can in fact occur,
and this is where things go bad.