[openstack-dev] [neutron][security][rootwrap] Proposal to replace rootwrap/sudo with privsep helper process (for neutron, but others too)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Feb 13 05:03:59 UTC 2015

wrote a proof-of-concept privsep daemon for neutron:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155631
> There's nothing neutron-specific in the core mechanism and it could
easily be moved out into a common (oslo) library and reused across other
projects.

Bravo. More conceptual than a code review my questions are. msgpack rather
than protobuf ? Given your previous experience there I'm just curious.

Are you concerned that commands might call into less trusted areas of code?
Would it make sense to have the privileged commands be separate somehow to
avoid this?

Rob