[openstack-dev] [all][PTLs] Stop releasing libraries/clients without capping stable global requirements

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 19:17:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 07:12 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you know a few of us have been spending way too much time digging
> > stable/juno out of the ditch its currently in. And just when we thought
> > we
> > were in the clear a new library was released without a requirements cap
> > in
> > stable global-requirements and broke stable/juno grenade.  Everytime this
> > happens we risk breaking everything. While there is a good long term fix
> > in
> > progress (pin all of stable/juno
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147451/),
> > this will take a bit of time to get right and land.
> >
> > The  good news is there is a nice easy interim solution. Before releasing
> > new library go to stable/juno and stable/icehouse global requirements and
> > check if $library has a version cap, if not add one. And once that lands
> > go
> > ahead and release your library. For example:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/154715/2

> The Oslo team has several libraries we're holding for release until this
> is resolved. We do have projects blocked on those releases, though, so
> if Joe asks you for help with anything related to stable branch
> maintenance, please make it a priority so we can get the caps in place.

We have landed the patch to cap all stable/juno requirements that are
installed in a tempest-dsvm-neutron-full job. So we should be out of the
woods for now (unless you are a project that uses one of the still uncapped
requirements).

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147451/

Implications:

* Until Dean's patches to install CLI tools (python-*clients) inside of
venvs, we are not testing master clients with stable/juno.
* An indirect dependency can change and still break us, but hopefully this
won't happen.