[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 17:34:56 UTC 2015

On 12/02/15 16:01 +0000, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>Flavio,
>
>Thanks for your email. I've read your response as well as those from all the others who responded and one thing is very unclear to me in the position being advanced. You write, and other respondents appear to share the following sentiment:
>
>| I personally don't care if you have private discussions with other folks
>| regardless of what their ATC status and impact on the community is. You're
>| free to do so, I don't plan to critizice that and that's entirely your
>| problem. However, I do care when those discussions happen in a private IRC
>| channel because I don't beleive that's neither good for our community nor
>| necessary.
>
>How is a private IRC channel any different from a culture of private discussions? Having a chat over lunch, in the hallway, on the telephone, etc., If [hypothetically] you and I were located in the same location and were having these conversations and someone else joined us, we could just as well change the subject, no?
>
>I fail to understand the fascination and focus on a private IRC channel as being somehow the instrument of evil and the cause of "back room decisions" that needs special attention?
>
>If you don't care with whom I have private conversations [and] any impact they may have on the community,
>how come you view private IRC channels as being different?
>
>To be clear, I'm opposed to private conversations of all kinds if they impact the decision making in the community. And I agree with you that the correct approach is to build a culture where open conversation and discussion are fostered and encouraged. And a community where when people hear the statements similar to what you describe as "it was discussed in a call", they feel empowered to push back and force an open discussion.
>
>So to summarize my first question, what's so evil about IRC (specifically) that you think it is bad but other private discussions that impact the community are not?

The problem is not just the "private" discussion but also the medium
where it happens. From a community perspective, if I came to know
there's a private channel were things happen, I'd feel excluded and
not a part of such community. If we leave aside the "emotional"
implications on other members of the community when there are things
like a "my-nice-private-gang" channel and we focus on the impact it
has in the "openness" of our community and project, it's clear that we
would be violating such tenent.

When I say "I don't care about your private discussions" is because I
don't. I don't  care if you have a quick lunch-talk with someone, I
don't care if you have a quick call with someone about a specific
issue/blueprint/whatever as long as you bring the results of those
discussions to the open.

The big difference between a hallway discussion or a quick call and a
private IRC channel is that we *don't* have a public voip channel,
common office where you can have those coversation in a open enough
way to include *everyone*. However, we *do* have public IRC channels -
far too many, I'd dare to say - where those conversations can happen.
Therefore, I don't believe - and I'll put all my stubbornness on this
- there's *ANY* need for private IRC channels that *exclude* other
members of this community.

You want to have private hallway/phone discussions? Fine, feel free
but please, make sure that:

1. The results of those discussions are disclosed afterwards and made
available for *further* discussions.

2. All the participants understand that the discussion doesn't *end*
there.

>Now, I have to assume that you are speculating that in these password protected IRC channels to which you have no access, there are all these decisions being made and discussions being had that you (and others) are being excluded from. And that the information therein is never revealed to the outside world and that this is bad for the community.
>
>I am a member of several private, password protected IRC channels (where the participants are OpenStack ATC's). After I read your email, I thought long and hard about what I'd seen in these private IRC channels. I can honestly tell you that:
>
>(a) the discussions there that could have been had on a public medium had nothing to do with OpenStack (unless OpenStack is impacted by the musical preferences of some participants, or OpenStack was adversely impacted by the fact that some people really love barbecue from a specific place, xkcd cartoons, and in one case a person saying he was leaving his [then] current employer and moving to a new workplace. I can give you some more if you would like but I think you get the idea). Oh, and someone shared a cute youtube video of their house lit up to music and it made me wonder whether I could do that with my raspberry Pi.

What about a public #my-openstack-but-not-openstack (a.k.a offtopic)
public channel that would welcome other folks in the community to
engage? This would also make the $whatever-project community stronger.

FWIW, we use #openstack-zaqar for both, on-topic and off-topic,
discussions and no one cares as long as the off-topic discussions
don't interfere with the on-topic ones. Zaqar's community is way
smaller than other communities so I can see how this could be a
problem elsewhere. But I don't see how a private IRC channel is the
solution for off-topic discussions. Having channels suffixed with
`-offtopic` is pretty common.

>(b) the discussions that related to OpenStack could not have been had on a public medium. They involved things of a legal nature, they involved things of a sensitive and confidential nature, and they involved a couple of bugs that related to security.

As I mentioned in other parts of this thread, I don't think CVEs need
a private IRC channel and CVEs discussions should be kept in
launchpad. I understand how easy it is to discuss those bugs on IRC
but I don't even think IRC is secure enough, probably not even LP is.

As far as other legal nature things go, I've no idea what you're
talking about and I can hardly think of some so, I'd love if you could
elaborate more since there may be something that me and the rest of
the community are missing.

>The information about the barbecue is well known, i.e. there's no password required to go to this establishment but you have to get there at about 9am and wait in line. The fact that the individual in question has moved on from his [then] current employer is now also known. The discussion about the legal issues resulted in some actions being taken in the project, some code changes, some private conversations, and some not-insignificant legal expense for the parties involved. The issues relating to the security bugs have been addressed. The sensitive personnel issues are still a work in progress [I believe], but that’s my opinion.

Still failing to see how a private IRC channel helps with the above.
Besides the legal nature issues that I've gently asked you to
elaborate more on, I don't see why all that couldn't have been done in
a normal IRC channel.

>So, I don't believe that there is anything happening in the channel(s) that I know of that I would consider to be detrimental to open communication in the community. And if anyone required me to have some of these conversations in public rather than in private I would rather leave the community in a hurry for fear of prosecution for slander [or libel depending on whether IRC is considered written or oral].
>
>I firmly believe that it is important for us to build a community where open discussion and participation are important. And I didn't know about the programs you describe (outreach and GSoC) but I'll find out more and ping you about those (in a private message :)). I know not that which you talk about with respect to the fact that people who have been in the community longer appear to be more "not-open".

Happy to help with any of those programs. We also have an IRC channel
for OPW (#openstack-opw). :D

That said, if nothing that has been discussed in such private channel
was private, why having it in the first place?

Let me be clear on something. This is not a prosecution on people in
the community but a call out to *everyone* to act in a open way. My
original email contains more than just a complain for the existence of
private IRC channels. It contains also complains about projects
"organizing" work in a close way. So, if you feel prosecuted, I'm
sorry, that was not the intention. However, I'd love you to take a few
more minutes to re-consider the *usefulness* of those private IRC
channels you mentioned you're part of. If such channels refer to
openstack projects, then I'd beg you to help closing them because
believe me when I say, they bring no good to our community.

In other words, if the private medium/discussion is excluding people
from the community, I believe it shouldn't be avoided.

/me is trying hard to not generalize

>Finally, you write:
>
>| Our community is far from perfect but lets try to not make it worse.
>| So, if you are participating in a private IRC channel, I ask you to please
>| reconsider leaving such medium and encourage the openness.
>
>Let me be honest with you and say this. If you or someone else can show me a good reason why the IRC channel (password protected) that I participate in is somehow bad for open communication, I will be happy to fix that. And so far, no real indication of why IRC is worse than a private phone call or a water-cooler conversation on a regular basis. So if you think that eliminating private IRC channels will solve some problem, I have to tell you that this it is my considered opinion that this is a misguided notion, and suggest that in the interest of the shared goal that we have (open communication, ...) that we address the real problems and build the right behaviors.

I've mentioned in several different ways how these private channels
harm our community by excluding other folks and making them feel
un-priviledged. If you think that's not enough then I'll ask you to
give me access to both the cannel and its logs and I'll show you how
it harms our community. We've been working really hard to prevent all
kind of *priviledges* out of this community.

I don't expect the "no-private-irc-channel" thing to fix all the
problems we have but it's a matter of principles and education. The
problem is not the water-cooler/phone conversations you have but the
impact these conversations have in the community.

I've been part of many beer-cooler conversations and they all ended
in, lets bring this up to the community. However, I can assure you
that there was no tag on the beer-cooler with written "if you ain't
core you ain't drinking". This means that those discussions were still
open (and ended open) and they were also welcoming and free as in
"free beer".

Cheers,
Flavio