[openstack-dev] SDN Security in OpenStack

Patrick Lismore patricklismore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:39:57 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am a software developer working at HP,  I do not work with OpenStack @HP
though, only worked with it privately.

I am finishing up a Masters and for my dissertation research I am focusing
on SDN Security.

I wanted to align my research to current SDN uses in the industry and was
interested in researching the security of SDN in OpenStack.

To help focus and narrow down my research topic it would be helpful to hear
from the developers directly working on the Neutron project where they see
areas of improvement from a security point of view or are there areas that
need more research that would be helpful to the project.

As part of the dissertation code will be written, tests will be run and the
findings published.  If the topic is aligned to industry then that code may
be useful.

People working close to the project will have a better view of the code and
capabilities or lack thereof and may see an opportunity here to have some
new functionality researched and contributed over the next 12 weeks.

I tired asking the question on Ask OpenStack but it got swiftly closed.

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/60777/what-are-the-biggest-security-challenges-in-openstack-neutron/

If anyone has any comments, thoughts or feedback you can drop me a few
lines to patricklismore at gmail.com

best regards

Patrick