[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Real world experience with Ceilometerdeployments - Feedback requested

Luo Gangyi lgy181 at foxmail.com
Thu Feb 12 02:23:04 UTC 2015

Hi, maishsk

I have deployed serveral test environment in my company's labs and each environment has 20-30 servers.

Here were the problems I have met.

1. MongoDB consumes too much memory. I use cgroups to restrict the memory used. but if using hard restriction, MongoDB may be terminated by OOM.‍
2. Billing data and monitoring data share the same table and database. This is very inconvenient! Monitoring data is massive and there is no need to backup‍
 monitoring data. On the contrary, billing data is less and important which should be backuped. Mixing these two data together makes things becomes difficult.
3. It posed too much pressure on MQ when we configured monitoring period into 2-5 seconds. So we configured the pipeline using UDP channel.

Next month we will build a openstack environment about 100-150 servers. I will record my configuration, performance data and problems and I am willing to sharethese data and experience in the near future.

Luo Gangyiluogangyi at chinamobile.com