[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Feb 11 16:34:20 UTC 2015

> On Feb 11, 2015, at 11:15 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
> On 2015-02-11 11:31:13 +0000 (+0000), Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
> [...]
>> If you don't belong to the group of privileged living in the area
>> and receiving free ticket somehow or company paying your
>> participation you're not included. $600 + travel + accommodation
>> is quite hefty premium to be included, not really FOSS.
> [...]
>
> Here I have to respectfully disagree. Anyone who uploads a change to
> an official OpenStack source code repository for review and has it
> approved/merged since Juno release day gets a 100% discount comp
> voucher for the full conference and design summit coming up in May.
> In addition, much like a lot of other large free software projects
> do for their conferences, the OpenStack Foundation sets aside
> funding[1] to cover travel and lodging for participants who need it.
> Let's (continue to) make sure this _is_ "really FOSS," and that any
> of our contributors who want to be involved can be involved.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Travel_Support_Program

For whatever it's worth, I totally agree that the summits don't make Openstack
"not really FOSS" and I think the travel program is great, but I do just want
to point out (as someone for whom travel is not monetarily dificult, but
logistically) that decision making which requires travel can be exclusive. I
don't personally get too bothered by it but it feels like maybe the fundamental
issue that some are expericing is when there are decisions being made via a
single channel, regardless of if that channel is a phone call, IRC, a mailing
list, or a design summit. The more channels any particular decision involves
the more likely it is nobody is going to feel like they didn't get a chance
to participate.

---
Donald Stufft