[openstack-dev] [devstack] Compute-node-only installation fails

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 16:27:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 05:18:35PM +0100, Alexander Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> with your recent change[1] to error handling in stack.sh, compute
> node only installations via devstack fail because there is
> no database selected. A database should not be required on
> compute nodes.
>
> Was this done intentionally? lib/database explicitly says:
>
> # If ``DATABASE_TYPE`` is unset here no database was selected
> # This is not an error as multi-node installs will do this on the
> compute nodes

No, obviously that side effect was definitely not intentional. I had a
setup where I needed a database but had forgotten to enable one, and
was just trying to get devstack to detect this upfront. I didn'tmean
to break the valid use case of not having a database at all in the
scenario you mention.

Regards,
Daniel