[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 11:24:35 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Flavio Percoco wrote:

> During the last two cycles, I've had the feeling that some of the
> things I love the most about this community are degrading and moving
> to a state that I personally disagree with. With the hope of seeing
> these things improve, I'm taking the time today to share one of my
> concerns.

Thanks for writing this. I agree with pretty much everything you say,
especially the focus on the mailing list being only truly available
and persistent medium we have for engaging everyone. Yes it is noisy
and takes work, but it is an important part of the work.

I'm not certain, but I have an intuition that many of the suboptimal
and moving-in-the-direction-of-closed behaviors that you're describing
are the result of people trying to cope with having too much to do
with insufficient tools. Technology projects often sacrifice the
management of information in favor of what's believed to be the core
task (making stuff?) when there are insufficient resources.

This is unfortunate because the effective sharing and management of
information is the fuel that drives, optimizes and corrects the entire
process and thus leads to more effective making of stuff.

This thread and many of the threads going around lately speak a lot
about people not being able to participate in a way that lets them
generate the most quality -- either because there's insufficient time
and energy to move the mountain or because each move they make opens
up another rabbit hole.

As many have said this is not sustainable.

Many of the proposed strategies or short term tactics involve trying to
hack the system so that work that is perceived to be extraneous is
removed or made secondary. This won't fix it.

I think it is time we recognize and act on the fact that the corporate
landlords that pay many of us to farm on this land need to provide more
resources. This will help to ensure the health of semi-artifical
opensource ecology that is OpenStack. At the moment many things are
packed tight with very little room to breathe. We need some air.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent