[openstack-dev] [nova] Flavor extra-spec and image metadata documentation

Pasquale Porreca pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au
Wed Feb 11 11:03:58 UTC 2015

Thank you for all answers.
I know that meta data tags are "free" to use with any key/value, still
there are some specific values that triggers pieces of code in nova (or
maybe even in other components). In particular I am working on one of
these key/value, in my case it should enable the

<bios rebootTimeout=value/>

parameter in libvirt. Anyway even if my code is merged, no one will know
about it (except myself and the reviewers) if it is not documented
somewhere. A DocImpact flag was added to the commit message, but I still
don't know how to proper document it. I may create/update existing wiki
pages, but I would have preferred an official documentation: I was not
able to find the wiki page proposed by Daniel Berrange, even if I had
been searching exactly to something similar :(
It is very good that there is a work to objectify image meta, anyway is
there any recommendation  how to document it in the meanwhile?

I would also know if there is any naming convention for image meta and
flavor extra-spec keys: in my case I used hw_reboot_timeoutand
hw:reboot_timeout respectively, but it is more a bios than hardware
feature and they are handled in nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py rather than
nova/virt/hardware.py so maybe the name choice was not so good.