[openstack-dev] [CINDER] discussion about Volume Delete API

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:25:05 UTC 2015

Depending on what progress the backend has made during the create, this can
race witht the create such that you can end up:
a) No volume on the backend but a volume in cinder (this is ok)
b) With no volume on the backend but the volume manager putting the volume
in state available (delete flag would still be set so this is ok)
c) A volume on the backend but no volume in cinder

This third case is not ok, and probably leaves open feasible DoS attachs
via fillling up backends with orphan volumes without taking up cinder quota
(and without appearing in cinder at all, so being quite confusing for the
admin)

On 11 February 2015 at 10:23, Guo, Ruijing <ruijing.guo at intel.com> wrote:

>   In http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-blockstorage-v2.html, delete
> volume preconditions:
>

> Preconditions
>
> ·         Volume status must be available, in-use, error, or
> error_restoring.
>

> I think we may change to following statements:
>

> Preconditions
>
> ·         Volume status must be creating, available, error, or
> error_restoring. (add creating and remove in-use)
>

> 1)    If LUN is attached (in-use), we cannot delete LUN.
>
> 2)    Event LUN is creating (hung in create), we may delete LUN.

Duncan Thomas