[openstack-dev] Filtering by metadata values

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Wed Feb 11 03:03:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Miguel Grinberg <miguel.grinberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had a discussion yesterday on the Heat channel regarding patterns for
> searching or filtering entities by its metadata values. This is in relation
> to a feature that is currently being implemented in Heat called “Stack
> Tags”.
>
> The idea is that Heat stack lists can be filtered by these tags, so for
> example, any stacks that you don’t want to see you can tag as “hidden”,
> then when you request a stack list you can specify that you only want
> stacks that do not have the “hidden” tag.

Some background, the author initially just asked for a field "hidden". But
it seemed like there were many more use cases that could be fulfilled by
having
a generic "tags" on the stack REST resource. This is really nice feature
from UI perspective.

> We were trying to find other similar usages of tags and/or metadata within
> OpenStack projects, where these are not only stored as data, but are also
> used in database queries for filtering. A quick search revealed nothing,
> which is surprising.

I have spotted nova's instance tags that look like the kinda beast we are
after:
  -  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/tag-instances
  -  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/tag-instances,n,z

> Is there anything I may have missed? I would like to know if there
> anything even remotely similar, so that we don’t build a new wheel if one
> already exists for this.

So we wanted to bring this up as there is a API WG and the concept of tags
and filtering should be consistent
and we don't want to run off and do something that the WG really doesn't
like.

But it looks like this needs a bit more fleshing out:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html#filtering

Should we just follow nova's instance tags, given the lack of definition in
api-wg?

Regards
Angus

Thanks,