[openstack-dev] [all][oslo.db][nova] TL; DR Things everybody should know about Galera

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:29:31 UTC 2015

On 02/10/2015 09:47 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> On 09/02/15 18:15, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On 02/09/2015 01:02 PM, Attila Fazekas wrote:
>>> I do not see why not to use `FOR UPDATE` even with multi-writer or
>>> Is the retry/swap way really solves anything here.
>> <snip>
>>> Am I missed something ?
>>
>> Yes. Galera does not replicate the (internal to InnnoDB) row-level locks
>> that are needed to support SELECT FOR UPDATE statements across multiple
>> cluster nodes.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/codership-team/Au1jVFKQv8o/QYV_Z_t5YAEJ
>
> Is that the right link, Jay? I'm taking your word on the write-intent
> locks not being replicated, but that link seems to say the opposite.

This link is better:

http://www.percona.com/blog/2014/09/11/openstack-users-shed-light-on-percona-xtradb-cluster-deadlock-issues/

Specifically the line:

"The local record lock held by the started transation on pxc1 didn’t
play any part in replication or certification (replication happens at
commit time, there was no commit there yet)."

-jay