[openstack-dev] [Manila]Question about gateway-mediated-with-ganesha

Li, Chen chen.li at intel.com
Tue Feb 10 00:51:45 UTC 2015

Hi list,

I'm trying to understand how manila use NFS-Ganesha, and hope to figure out what I need to do to use it if all patches been merged (only one patch is under reviewing,  right ?).

I have read:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Manila/Networking/Gateway_mediated
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/manila/+spec/gateway-mediated-with-ganesha

>From documents, it is said, within Ganesha, multi-tenancy would be supported:
And later the Ganesha core would be extended to use the infrastructure used by generic driver to provide network separated multi-tenancy. The core would manage Ganesha service running in the service VMs, and the VMs themselves that reside in share networks.

ð  it is said : extended to use the infrastructure used by generic driver to provide network separated multi-tenancy
So, when user create a share, a VM (share-server) would be created to run Ganesha-server.

ð  I assume this VM should connect the 2 networks : user's share-network and the network where Glusterfs cluster is running.

But, in generic driver, it create a manila service network at beginning.
When user create a share, a "subnet" would be created in manila service network corresponding to each user's "share-network":
This means every VM(share-server) generic driver has created are living in different subnets, they're not able to connect to each other.

If my understanding here is correct, the VMs that running Ganesha are living the different subnets too.

ð  Here is my question:
How VMs(share-servers) running Ganesha be able to connect to the single Glusterfs cluster ?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks.
-chen