[openstack-dev] [cinder] Why not allow deleting volume from a CG ?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 11:33:50 UTC 2015

On 9 February 2015 at 13:04, Nilesh P Bhosale <nilesh.bhosale at in.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Adding an ability to Add/Remove existing volumes to/from CG looks fine.
> But, it does not help the use-case where one would want to directly delete
> a volume from CG.
> Why do we force him to first remove a volume from CG and then delete?

Because the risk of a user accidentally deleting a volume that is part of a
CG and making their CG useless was considered greater than the cost of
having to make two API calls. This was discussed during the design phase of
CGs, at length.

Many things are possible, be are trying to choose a subset that can be:

- Implemented on as many different backends as possible
- Don't limit backend architectures from doing novel new things
- Allow a rich tenant experience
- Guide a tenant away from operating in a high-risk manner

--
Duncan Thomas