[openstack-dev] [cinder] Why not allow deleting volume from a CG ?

Nilesh P Bhosale nilesh.bhosale at in.ibm.com
Mon Feb 9 11:04:40 UTC 2015

Adding an ability to Add/Remove existing volumes to/from CG looks fine.
But, it does not help the use-case where one would want to directly delete
a volume from CG.
Why do we force him to first remove a volume from CG and then delete?
As CG goes along with replication and backends creating a separate pool
per CG, removing a volume from CG, just to be able to delete it in the
next step, may be an unnecessary expensive operation.

I think, we can allow removing volume from a CG with something like
'--force' option, so that user consciously makes that decision.

In fact, I think whatever decision user takes, even to delete a normal
volume, is treated as his conscious decision.

Thanks,
Nilesh