[openstack-dev] [nova] will the real v2.1/v3 API status please stand up?

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 01:21:55 UTC 2015

>> I wasn't at the mid-cycle meetup for Kilo but even for Juno I'll admit I
>> was a bit lost. It's not my fault, I'm more good looks than brains. :)
>>
>> When I look at approved specs for Kilo, three pop out:
>>
>> 1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/v2-on-v3-api
>>
>> 2. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/api-microversions
>>
>> 3. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/v3-api-policy
>>

> So we need the first to blueprints for v2.1 microversions. We don't need
> v3-api-policy merged to release
>  v2.1 microversions though I believe it is a separate important bit of work
> to reduce tech debt and make
> life easier for operators.

I think the first one(bp/v2-on-v3-api) only is necessary for dropping
'experimental' label from v2.1 API, because raw v2.1 API(meaning
v2.1 without microversions) has already implemented some merits
(strong validation, clean code, easy deployment, etc) for developers
and operators.

>> The only one of those that has a dependency in launchpad is the last one
>> and it's dependency is on:
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-v3-api
>>
>> Which looks like it was replaced by the v2-on-v3-api blueprint.
>>
>> If I look at the open changes for each, there are a lot:
>>
>> 1.
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/v2-on-v3-api,n,z
>>
>> 2.
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/api-microversions,n,z
>>
>> 3.
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/v3-api-policy,n,z
>>
>> Do those all need to merge before the v2.1 API is no longer experimental?

As I said at the above, the first branch is necessary for dropping
experimental from v2.1 API. In addition, the first branch contains
some cleanup patches also. The important patches are just four:

* Provide full v2 compatibility
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138599/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153466/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153137

* Drop experimental from v2
  https://review.openstack.org/149948

So we have already done most works for v2.1 API.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi