[openstack-dev] [Fuel] CLI api for working with granular deployment model

Dmitriy Shulyak dshulyak at mirantis.com
Sat Feb 7 09:39:02 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Andrew Woodward <xarses at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitry,
>> thanks for sharing CLI options. I'd like to clarify a few things.
>>
>> > Also very important to understand that if task is mapped to role
>> controller, but node where you want to apply that task doesn't have this
>> role - it wont be executed.
>> Is there a particular reason why we want to restrict a user to run an
>> arbitrary task on a server, even if server doesn't have a role assigned? I
>> think we should be flexible here - if I'm hacking something, I'd like to
>> run arbitrary things.
>>
>> The way I've seen this work so far is the missing role in the graph
> simply wont be executed, not the requested role

Hi Andrew,

What do you mean by requested role?
If you want to add new role to fuel, lets say redis - adding new group into
deployment configuration is mandatory, here is what it looks like [0]

Then one will need to add tasks that are required for this group (both
custom and basic tasks like hiera netconfig), lets say custom task is
install_redis.

After this is done user will be able to use cli:

>> fuel node --node 5 --tasks install_redis OR --end install_redis

[0]
https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-library/blob/master/deployment/puppet/deployment_groups/tasks.yaml