[openstack-dev] [devstack] how to use a devstack external plugin in gate testing

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Feb 6 19:36:22 UTC 2015

For those that didn't notice, on the Devstack team we've started to push
back on new in-tree support for all the features. That's intentional.
We've got an external plugin interface now -
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/plugins.html#externally-hosted-plugins,
and have a few projects like the ec2api and glusterfs that are
successfully using it. Our Future direction is to do more of this -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/150789/

The question people ask a lot is 'but, how do I do a gate job with the
external plugin?'.

Starting with the stackforge/ec2api we have an example up on how to do
that: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153659/

The important bits are as follows:

1. the git repo that you have your external plugin in *must* be in
gerrit. stackforge is fine, but it has to be hosted in the OpenStack
infrastructure.

2. The job needs to add your PROJECT to the projects list, i.e.:

    export PROJECTS="stackforge/ec2-api $PROJECTS"

3. The job needs to add a DEVSTACK_LOCAL_CONFIG line for the plugin
enablement:

    export DEVSTACK_LOCAL_CONFIG="enable_plugin ec2-api
git://git.openstack.org/stackforge/ec2-api"

Beyond that you can define your devstack job however you like. It can
test with Tempest. It can instead use a post_test_hook for functional
testing. Whatever is appropriate for your project.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net