[openstack-dev] [kolla][tripleo] Update on Kolla

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Feb 5 17:25:27 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

I wanted to provide a brief update on where we are headed with Kolla.  Initially Kolla began as a POC to show that containers could be used to deploy OpenStack with the long term plan of integrating that functionality into TripleO.  That goal has not changed.

The tripleo community wants baby steps not outright replacement of the infrastructure as was proposed by using Kubernetes in Kolla as a dependency in this review [1].   Our first step in this process will be to create three new container types.  We will create a controller node, a storage node, and a compute node.  We have proven that compute can be used.[2]  Further, one of our community members is working on a DIB elements->container tool here [3] and we plan to use this along with our other R&D in the area to integrate container tech into tripleo.

I’m not quite sure how it will all come together, but after numerous discussions with folks from the tripleo and heat teams, I believe we can find a path forward.

Regards
-steve

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/144199/
[2] http://sdake.io/2015/01/28/an-atomic-upgrade-process-for-openstack-compute-nodes/