[openstack-dev] [nova] Hypervisor support matrix now in GIT

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 16:41:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 10:22:08AM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 2/5/2015 4:49 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >>
> >>In that case, I suggest to remove it's contents and just leave a pointer
> >>to the new location,
> >
> >See my point about it being the only place with info about the out of
> >tree Docker & PowerKVM drivers. I want to give them time to setup a
> >support matrix in their own GIT repo before removing the only source
> >of info about them.
> >
> >I will be updating the wiki page to warn people about the new location
> >though.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Daniel
> >

> There might be some confusion on PowerKVM here, the pKVM support is in tree
> in the libvirt driver, that's what the PowerKVM third party CI is running
> against.
>
> The new as of last week PowerVM driver in stackforge [1] (and older PowerVC
> driver in stackforge [2]) are different and shouldn't be in the hypervisor
> support matrix wiki or the in-tree hypervisor support table.

Ok, so in this page

   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix#Features

The 'PowerKVM' column doesn't mention libvirt and it links to this page

  www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/linux/powerlinux/powerkvm

So I assumed that was referring to one of the stackforge drivers, and
that info on power-kvm-with-libvirt was simply missing entirely from
the wiki page.  So we'd need someone to update the new in-tree docs
with power-kvm-on-libvirt information from scratch.

If anyone still cares about the non-libvirt Power drivers they can
maintain a support matrix in stackforge for that.

> The only thing I'd say about the pKVM support in the in-tree matrix is what
> it's distro support is, i.e. if I have latest Fedora ppc64 will nova
> libvirt/qemu work with it?  How about Ubuntu?

The approach we've been trying to take with libvirt recently is that
each new platform we support (whether a new architecture, or new
libvirt hypervisor) would explicitly declare the minimum required
libvirt version for that platform.

eg the Parallels driver added

  MIN_LIBVIRT_PARALLELS_VERSION = (1, 2, 12)

And in init_host()

        if (CONF.libvirt.virt_type == 'parallels' and
            not self._host.has_min_version(MIN_LIBVIRT_PARALLELS_VERSION)):

Given that Power support in libvirt requires some minimum version,
we'll need to add a MIN_LIBVIRT_POWER_KVM_VERSION and check for
that.

These min version numbers aren't something I've attempted to capture
in the context of the feature matrix.

Regards,
Daniel