[openstack-dev] [Murano] Translation usage suggestion

Ekaterina Chernova efedorova at mirantis.com
Thu Feb 5 12:49:16 UTC 2015

Hi all!

Recently we have discussed the log and exception translations and have not
come to a decision.

I've made some research and found a useful documents:

   - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards#Log_Translation
   - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations

Here two main points, that I can highlight

* "*Exception text should **not** be marked for translation,*
    because if an exception occurs there is no guarantee that the
translation machinery will be functional."

** "Debug level log messages are not translated"*

Some projects do not follow these rules, but I suggest to take them into
consideration and perform the following actions:

   - First of all, we should remove gettext utils usage and replace it with
   oslo.i18n;
   - Remove exception messages translation;
   - Add log translation to info, warn and error log level (and
   log.exception which creates log.error message).

Note, that different log levels can be separated to different files. It's
also supported to have different log files for different languages.

What do you think?