[openstack-dev] [Manila]Questions about using not handle share-servers drivers with "Flat network"

Li, Chen chen.li at intel.com
Wed Feb 4 09:44:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply.
Really sorry for the late response.

In your case if you have a driver that doesn't handle share servers, then the network is complete out of scope for Manila. Drivers that don't manage share servers have neither flat not segment networking in Manila, they have NO networking.

ð  So, you mean there is no way I can work as I want, right ?

But, is it possible to enable that ?

If you noticed, we're trying to enable HDFS in manila:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/manila/+spec/hdfs-driver
That's the main reason I want to emphasize on my driver do not handle share server.

Big data users want to have a unify storage when they're working in cloud.
Because instances are not reliable resource in cloud. Put data together with instances while making sure data's reliability would be complicated.

The biggest difference between HDFS and all currently backends manila support is:
HDFS has different control path and data path.
For a HDFS cluster, it has one name node and multi data nodes.
Client would talk to "name node" first, get data location and then talk to data nodes to get data.
   The "Export location" represent "name node" information only.

ð  We can't put any "share-server" in the middle of user instances and HDFS cluster.

But, it do possible to let the HDFS work in the cloud with restrictions

ð  It can only support one  share-network at one time.

This actually restrict the ability of the manila backend, no multi-tenancy at all.

We want to use HDFS like this:
Connect users' "share-network" and "HDFS-cluster-network" by router.
Similar to currently generic driver's behavior when "connect_share_server_to_tenant_network = False" while no "share-server" exist.
Access control is achieved based on its own user.

We can add some access control based on keystone users and keystone tenants to avoid bad users to connect to HDFS cluster at very beginning if that's possible.

Thanks.
-chen