[openstack-dev] The API WG mission statement

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Tue Feb 3 19:06:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 18:49 +0000, Everett Toews wrote:
> I’ll echo Mike’s sentiment that we should be very mindful of the idea
> that these are guidelines not hard standards. Hmmmm…even that might be
> a bit restrictive. In the Openstack HTTP error codes [1] discussion
> I’m getting the impression that there is a desire to make this a
> standard. Perhaps we need to leave the door open to setting standards
> in certain cases?

I tend to be in the "guideline for now" camp, but I see us slowly
shifting over to establishing standards where it makes sense.  Once the
error codes discussion truly starts to converge toward consensus
(something I feel it's close to, but not quite there yet), it seems
reasonable to make it a guideline.  As far as standards go—if we go with
the idea of header addition to tell the client about the codes, it
becomes something that can easily be added to all OpenStack APIs, and
once that happens, then I can foresee it becoming a formal standard
recommended by the API WG…
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace