[openstack-dev] [OpenStack Foundation] Finding people to work on the EC2 API in Nova

Alexandre Levine alevine at cloudscaling.com
Mon Feb 2 20:29:55 UTC 2015

On 2/2/15 11:15 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM, Alexandre Levine
> <alevine at cloudscaling.com> wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> I'm rather new here, especially in regard to communication matters, so I'd
>> also be glad to understand how it's done and then I can drive it if it's ok
>> with everybody.
>> By saying EC2 sub team - who did you keep in mind? From my team 3 persons
>> are involved.
> I see the sub team as the way of keeping the various organisations who
> have expressed interest in helping pulling in the same direction. I'd
> suggest you pick a free slot on our meeting calendar and run an irc
> meeting there weekly to track overall progress.

I'll do that when I've got myself acquainted with the weekly meetings
procedure (haven't actually bumped into it before) :)

>>  From the technical point of view the transition plan could look somewhat
>> like this (sequence can be different):
>>
>> 1. Triage EC2 bugs and fix showstoppers in nova's EC2.
>> 2. Contribute Tempest tests for EC2 functionality and employ them against
>> nova's EC2.
>> 3. Write spec for required API to be exposed from nova so that we get full
>> info.
>> 4. Triage and fix all of the existing nova's EC2 bugs worth fixing.
>> 5. Set up Tempest testing of the stackforge/ec2 (if that's possible).
>> 6. Communicate and discover all of the existing questions and problematic
>> points for the switching from existing EC2 API to the new one. Provide
>> solutions or decisions about them.
>> 7. Do performance testing of the new stackforge/ec2 and provide fixes if any
>> bottlenecks come up.
>> 8. Have all of the above prepared for the Vancouver summit and discuss the
>> situation there.
> This sounds really good to me -- this is the sort of thing you'd be
> tracking against in that irc meeting, although presumably you'd
> negotiate as a group exactly what the steps are and who is working on
> what.
>
> Do you see transitioning users to the external EC2 implementation as a
> final step in this list? I know you've only gone as far as Vancouver
> here, but I want to be explicit about the intended end goal.

Yes, that's correct. The very final step though would be cleaning up
nova from the EC2 stuff. But you're right, the major goal would be to
make external EC2 API production-ready and to have all of the necessary
means for users to seamlessly transition (no downtimes, no instances
recreation required).
So I can point at least three distinct major milestones here:

1. EC2 API in nova is back and revived (no showstoppers, all of the
currently employed functionality safe and sound, new tests added to
check and ensure that).
2. External EC2 API is production-ready.
3. Nova is relieved of the EC2 stuff.

Vancouver is somewhere in between 1 and 3.

>> Michael, I am still wondering, who's going to be responsible for timely
>> reviews and approvals of the fixes and tests we're going to contribute to
>> nova? So far this is the biggest risk. Is there anyway to allow some of us
>> to participate in the process?
> Sean has offered here, for which I am grateful. Your team as it forms
> should also start reviewing each other's work, as that will reduce the
> workload somewhat for Sean and other cores.

We've already started.