[openstack-dev] problems with huge pages and libvirt

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Feb 2 18:04:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 11:49:26AM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 02/02/2015 10:51 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> >This is a bug that I discovered when fixing some of the NUMA related nova
> >objects. I have a patch that should fix it up shortly.
>
> Any chance you could point me at it or send it to me?
>
> >This is what happens when we don't have any functional testing of stuff that is
> >merged into master...
>
> Indeed.  Does tempest support hugepages/NUMA/pinning?

The short answer is not explicitly. The longer answer is that there are 2
patches[1][2] up for review right now that add basic checks to tempest. But,
they haven't been able to merge because the nova support hasn't worked and the
tests fail...

Aside from those 2 basic checks I don't expect any other direct numa, hugepage,
etc. tests to be in tempest. Testing anything besides these basic cases would
require knowledge of the underlying hardware for the deployment, which is out of
scope for tempest. There really needs to be lower level functional testing of
these features.

That being said the other thing you could do using tempest is to configure tempest
to use flavors which are created to use numa. That would at least implicitly
test that the functionality would work. But, that really isn't a replacement for
the functional testing which is sorely needed here.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/143540
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/143541/

-Matt Treinish