[openstack-dev] [OpenStack Foundation] Finding people to work on the EC2 API in Nova

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 09:58:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 07:57:08PM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:
> Alex,
>

> Many thanks for the constructive approach. I've added an item to the list for the Ops meetup in March to see who would be interested to help.
>

> As discussed on the change, it is likely that there would need to be some additional
> Nova APIs added to support the full EC2 semantics. Thus, there would need to support
> from the Nova team to enable these additional functions.  Having tables in the EC2
> layer which get out of sync with those in the Nova layer would be a significant
> problem in production.

Adding new APIs to Nova to support out of tree EC2 impl is perfectly reasonsable.
Indeed if there is data needed by EC2 that Nova doesn't provide already, chances
are that providing this data woudl be useful to other regular users / client apps
too. Just really needs someone to submit a spec with details of exactly which
functionality is missing. It shouldnt be hard for Nova cores to support it, given
the desire to see the out of tree EC2 impl take over & in tree impl removed.

> I think this would merit a good slot in the Vancouver design sessions so we can
> also discuss documentation, migration, packaging, configuration management,
> scaling, HA, etc.

I'd really strongly encourage the people working on this to submit the
detailed spec for the new APIs well before the Vancouver design summit.
Likewise at lesat document somewhere the thoughts on upgrade paths plans.
We need to at least discuss & iterate on this a few times online, so that
we can take advantage of the f2f time for any remaining harder parts of
the discussion.

Regards,
Daniel