[openstack-dev] [Product] [all][log] Openstack HTTP error codes

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 23:20:30 UTC 2015

Putting on my "sorry-but-it-is-my-job-to-get-in-your-way" hat (aka security), let's be careful how generous we are with the user and data we hand back. It should give enough information to be useful but no more. I don't want to see us opened to weird attack vectors because we're exposing internal state too generously.

In short let's aim for a slow roll of extra info in, and evaluate each data point we expose (about a failure) before we do so. Knowing more about a failure is important for our users. Allowing easy access to information that could be used to attack / increase impact of a DOS could be bad.

I think we can do it but it is important to not swing the pendulum too far the other direction too fast (give too much info all of a sudden).

--Morgan

Sent via mobile