[openstack-dev] [puppet] [neutron] Serious bug in puppet neutron cli json output parsing.
sathlang at redhat.com
Wed Dec 30 16:37:31 UTC 2015
I have added neutron people as they may help to find a solution.
After banging my head against the wall for a whole afternoon I
discovered a serious bug in puppet neutron module.
I not going to repeat here the detail of the bug report. Basically:
may break idempotency randomly and won't work at all when clifftablib is
removed from the package dependency of python-openstackclient
So the problem is that neutron cli json output on liberty (at least, and
maybe before) is not consistent and may come from cliff or clifftablib.
I didn't test it but the same may apply to openstack cli. As we don't
use the openstack cli json output it's not a issue (for puppet modules)
The available solution I can see are:
1. go back to parsing csv, shell output (revert )
2. find a way to leverage openstacklib parsing for neutron as well
3. keep json and parse the right output (cliff) and find a way to make
sure that it is always used by stevedore
>From my point of view 3) is not a option, but other may disagree.
The problem is tricky and the fact that the CI cannot detect this is
So before Mitaka, the json parsing should go. I would love to see an
interface that all puppet modules would use (solution 2). The current
openstacklib parses openstack client well enough. The neutron command
is not that different and I think there is space for code reuse. This
would be a long term solution. It would bring the advantage of having
only one interface to change if it was decided to use the API directly
In the meantime, a quick solution to this bug must be found.
Looking forward to your comments.
More information about the OpenStack-dev