[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] whether the ServiceGroup in Cinder is necessary

li.yuanzhen at zte.com.cn li.yuanzhen at zte.com.cn
Mon Dec 28 01:18:55 UTC 2015

> Hmm, I see. There's this spec[1] that was discussed in the past with a
similar proposal. There's a SPEC with some other points on the discussion,
I think Janice
> forgot to mention.

> Erlon

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Michał Dulko <michal.dulko at intel.com>
wrote:
> On 12/22/2015 01:29 PM, Erlon Cruz wrote:
> > Hi Li,
> >
> > Can you give a quick background on servicegroups (or links to. The
> > spec you linked only describe the process on Nova to change from what
> > they are using to tooz)? Also, what are the use cases and benefits of
> > using this?
> >
> > Erlon
> >

> This is simply and idea to be able to use something more sophisticated
> than DB heartbeats to monitor services states. With Tooz implemented for
> that we would be able to use for example ZooKeeper to know about service
> failure in a matter of seconds instead of around a minute. This would
> shrink the window in which c-sch doesn't-know-yet that c-vol failed and
> sends RPC messages to a service that will never answer. I think there
> are more use cases related to service monitoring and failover.

> Service groups isn't probably a correct name for proposed enhancement -
> we have this concept somehow implemented, but proposed idea seems to be
> related to making it pluggable.

Hi Erlon and Michal,
        Sorry for response you so late.

        The Cinder ServiceGroup is used for getting the state of services
quickly.
        use case such as:
           1) As an admin, I want to know each cinder service state, so
that I can take some
           actions to keep cloud in high availability if any service is
down.
           2) As an user, I want my volumes not to be scheduled to failed
cinder-volume
           instances.
        My colleague and I, have posted the specs[1] of ServiceGroup in
Cinder.

Janice

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/258968/

发件人:         Erlon Cruz <sombrafam at gmail.com>
收件人:         "OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage
questions)" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
日期:   2015/12/23 04:04
主题:   Re: [openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] whether the ServiceGroup in
Cinder is necessary

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176233/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/258968/

wrote:
On 12/22/2015 01:29 PM, Erlon Cruz wrote:
> Hi Li,
>
> Can you give a quick background on servicegroups (or links to. The
> spec you linked only describe the process on Nova to change from what
> they are using to tooz)? Also, what are the use cases and benefits of
> using this?
>
> Erlon

This is simply and idea to be able to use something more sophisticated
than DB heartbeats to monitor services states. With Tooz implemented for
that we would be able to use for example ZooKeeper to know about service
failure in a matter of seconds instead of around a minute. This would
shrink the window in which c-sch doesn't-know-yet that c-vol failed and
sends RPC messages to a service that will never answer. I think there
are more use cases related to service monitoring and failover.

Service groups isn't probably a correct name for proposed enhancement -
we have this concept somehow implemented, but proposed idea seems to be
related to making it pluggable.

ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail (and any attachment transmitted herewith) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  If you are not an intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of the information contained is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this mail in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.