[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] Gerrit Upgrade to ver 2.11, completed.

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Dec 24 00:54:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 03:00 PM, Carl Baldwin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Zaro <zaro0508 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:
> >> I noticed another thing.  I'm working with a chain of three patches.
> >> I just updated the patch in the middle [1] to patch set 37.  I noticed
> >> that the list of "Related Changes" (in the upper right of the page)
> >> didn't look right.  The change above it in the list (the one that
> >> depends it) looked strange.  Looking closer, I realized that the
> >> dependent patch was linking to patch set 4 [2] which is really old.
> >> Go here [1] and take a look.
> >>
> >> The latest patch set in 212669 (24) depends on a slightly out of date
> >> version of 192032 (36 of 37).  So, gerrit decides to navigate me to
> >> version 4 of 212669?  Seems arbitrary to me.  Why doesn't it navigate
> >> me to the latest version of 212669?  That would be much more useful.
> >
> > I believe what Gerrit is doing is linking to the PS that was based off
> > of the one you are currently on.  You can see this by checking the
> > parent and next commit SHA.  So it looks like 212669/4 is based on
> > 192032/10 therefore I'm guessing that you were actually looking at
> > 192032/10 when you clicked on the link.  I'm not sure that Gerrit took
> > you to the wrong PS I'm guessing that you were on a newer 212669 PS
> > than you thought?   I find this disorienting as well and always have
> > to remind myself to look at the "Patch Sets" indicator to get on the
> > right page.
>
> No, I was looking at PS37 of 192032.  Exactly the patch set that I
> linked to.  I just checked again by click on the link [1] and looking
> at the related changes in the upper right corner.  Do it.  What patch
> set of change 212669 do you see linked from here [1]?  If you are not
> seeing 212669/4 , then you are seeing something different than I am.
> It isn't only disorienting.  IMO, it is wrong.
>
> >> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/192032/37
> >> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212669/4

I got curious and this is an odd situation. I can't find where 212669
has a patchset with a parent of the commit for 192032,37 (b7151e4). Git
represents the tree as a DAG with each child commit pointing at its
parent(s). Parents do not know who their children are. When 212669 has a
patchset with a parent that maps to a valid 192032 patchset everything
works (see 212669,30 and 192032,36 for example) but when 192032 has a
patchset with no children in 212669 it gets confused.

This makes some sense given Git's internal DAG. Gerrit knows 212669 is
related to 192032 via the other patchsets, but it can't associate to a
specific patchset. I am not sure yet if the selection of patchset 4 is
intentional design and does something that would make sense if I
understood it better or if it is a bug in a best effort approach. The
most correct thing to do would be for 192032,37 to not show any
association to 212669 since there doesn't exist a Git DAG with that
relationship.

Clark