[openstack-dev] [murano] why not abandon launchpad milestones and/or blueprints?

Kirill Zaitsev kzaitsev at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 22 14:18:25 UTC 2015

Hi all. A couple of meetings ago I brought this up and promised to start a discussion in the ML.
There are two ideas behind this letter:

1st) Since we (and openstack at large) started using reno for release notes — launchpad milestones became redundant as a tracking tool of what have been done during development of a certain version of an app.
We might still use milestones for what we’re planning to do during a certain period of development, but in my opinion it never really worked, since dozens of open/in-progress bugs get transferred at release time to the next milestone.

I’d like to discuss the idea to stop using milestones on l-pad and just target bugs/bps to series.

+1 from me on the idea as I don’t see milestones being useful anymore

2d) We currently have 3 ways to track something we’d like to implement: wishlist-bug, blueprint, spec. A spec always require a blueprint, but a blueprint doesn’t always require a spec.

The idea is to minimise the number of tracking tools we use here and to stop using blueprints altogether. For small features this would mean assigning a wishlist-level bug. And for large features we should file a spec anyway and probably a specially tagged bug.

Pros: simpler more streamlined release/bug/feature management. One place to search for all functionality.
Cons: we would have to write Closes-Bug, which is kind of misleading. We wouldn’t be able to track dependencies between bugs the same way we now do for bps.

I don’t have a strong opinion on this one, so I would love to hear out some opinions on this one.

--
Kirill Zaitsev
Murano team