[openstack-dev] [nova] proposed new compute review dashboard

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 18 14:49:13 UTC 2015

On 12/18/2015 8:20 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> With Gerrit 2.11 upgrade in place, we get access to a few new query
> parameters. I've retooled the compute review dashboard in
> gerrit-dash-creator (https://github.com/openstack/gerrit-dash-creator)
> to take advantage of it.
>
> The url is - https://goo.gl/1vTS0Z
>
> The contents are:
>
> [dashboard]
> title = Nova Review Inbox (master branch only)
> description = Review Inbox
> foreach = (project:openstack/nova OR
> project:openstack/python-novaclient) status:open NOT owner:self NOT
> label:Workflow<=-1 label:Verified>=1,jenkins NOT
> label:Code-Review>=-2,self branch:master is:mergeable
>
> [section "Needs final +2"]
> query = NOT label:Code-Review<=-1,nova-core label:Code-Review>=2
>
> [section "Small Patches"]
> query = NOT label:Code-Review<=-1,nova-core delta:<=10
>
> [section "Needs Feedback (Changes older than 5 days that have not been
> reviewed by anyone)"]
> query = NOT label:Code-Review<=2 age:5d
>
> [section "You are a reviewer, but haven't voted in the current revision"]
> query = reviewer:self
>
> [section "Bug fix, Passed Jenkins, No Negative Core Feedback"]
> query = NOT label:Code-Review<=-1,nova-core message:"Closes-Bug: "
>
> [section "Passed Jenkins, No Negative Core Feedback"]
> query = NOT label:Code-Review<=-1,nova-core NOT message:"Closes-Bug: "
>
> [section "Wayward Changes (Changes with no code review in the last 5 days)"]
> query = label:Code-Review<=2 NOT label:Code-Review<=-1,nova-core age:5d
>

> No one has to use this dashboard, I realize we all have slightly
> different ways of looking at the review queue to find the right stuff.
> I'll explain the logic of this ordering below and why I've found it
> works well for me.
>

> The logic of this is to only review code that is mergable (has passing
> tests, is not in merge conflict, doesn't have a -2 block on it)
>
> The top items are code that currently has a core +2 and no core -1
> feedback. Trying to keep this list small I think is important. Either
> the code is ready to go, or you have a reason why it is not. Either is
> valid, but lets not leave folks with code with one +2 in limbo for some
> long chunk of time.
>
> Next up is very small patches (<= 10 lines of change). These *often*
> (but no always) are quite easy to turn around. Minor typos or bug fixes.
> Hopefully many of these move up into slot 1.
>
> The rest is basically the way the old dashboard was.
>
> If you find this dashboard useful, enjoy. If not, hopefully you take
> some ideas out of it for your own review pattern.
>
> 	-Sean

This has come up before, but I think we should put something like this
in the nova IRC channel topic. Swift has something like this in their
IRC channel topic and it's very easy for someone new to the channel to
go in and see what their review priorities are (I'd consider myself a
new person to Swift). Even if the dashboard above isn't perfect for
everyone, I think we should start with *something* and this is a good
start. Plus it doesn't require reviewing it to add it to the channel
topic, so (minimal) bikeshedding! :)

Matt Riedemann