[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][gnocchi] 'bad' resource_id

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Dec 16 20:13:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015, Lu, Lianhao wrote:

> In ceilometer, some metrics(e.g. network.incoming.bytes for VM net
> interface, hardware.network.incoming.bytes for host net interface,
> compute.node.cpu.percentage for nova compute node host cpu
> utilization, etc.) don't have their resource_id in UUID format(which
> is required by gnocchi). Instead, they have something like
> <id>.<interface_id> as their resource_id, in some cases even the <id>
> part won't be in uuid format. Gnocchi will treat these kind of
> resource_id as bad id, and build a new UUID format resource_id for
> them. Since users are mostly using resource_id to identify their
> resources, changing user passed in resource_id would require the users
> extra effort to identify the resources in gnocchi and link them with
> the resources they original passed in.

Just for the sake of completeness can you describe the use cases
where the resource_id translation that gnocchi does does not help
the use case. The one way translation is used in the body of search
queries as well as in any URL which contains a resource_id.

I'm sure there are use cases where it breaks down, but I've not
heard them enumerated explicitly.

Thanks.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/