[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Nova] continuing the "multiple compute host" discussion

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Dec 16 18:38:33 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Jim Rollenhagen's message of 2015-12-16 08:03:22 -0800:
> Nobody is talking about running a compute per flavor or capability. All
> compute hosts will be able to handle all ironic nodes. We *do* still
> need to figure out how to handle availability zones or host aggregates,
> but I expect we would pass along that data to be matched against. I
> think it would just be metadata on a node. Something like
> node.properties['availability_zone'] = 'rackspace-iad-az3' or what have
> you. Ditto for host aggregates - add the metadata to ironic to match
> what's in the host aggregate. I'm honestly not sure what to do about
> (anti-)affinity filters; we'll need help figuring that out.

Affinity is mostly meaningless with baremetal. It's entirely a
virtualization related thing. If you try and group things by TOR, or
chassis, or anything else, it's going to start meaning something entirely
different than it means in Nova, and it would probably be better to just
make lots of AZ's and have users choose their AZ mix appropriately,
since that is the real meaning of AZ's.