[openstack-dev] [Fuel] PostgreSQL 9.3 and JSON operations

Aleksandra Fedorova afedorova at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 15 12:36:07 UTC 2015

I'd support PostgreSQL 9.3 in 8.0.

* It is clear that PostgreSQL downgrade wasn't planned and discussed
before Feature Freeze, so this change is accidental. We didn't
investigate all possible consequences and changes required for the
switch.
* In Infra we have all our unit tests run on PostgreSQL 9.3.
* For Maintenance team it adds the burden of supporting yet another
version while they have PostgreSQL 9.3 anyway. So this change doesn't
reduce number of supported versions, it rather adds one to the list.

If we are'd like to switch to supported versions of upstream packages
in the future, we can consider using Software Collections where
PostgreSQL 9.4 is available [1].

[1] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-postgresql94/

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Artem Silenkov <asilenkov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I got another few points against downgrading.
>
> 1. PostgreSQL-9.2 will reach end-of-life at September 2017 according to [0].
> With high probability it means that we will have 9.2 version in centos repos
> when fuel9.0 arrives.
> It means that we will have to repackage it anyway just later a little bit.
>
> 2. 9.2 is slightly incompatible with 9.3, according to [1].
> Downgrading is not an easy task,pg_dump, pg_restore from different package
> versions can't work together.
>
> 3. Shared memory usage is different between 9.2 and 9.3 and this could bring
> some troubles and would require config file reworking.
>

> [0]: http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> [1]: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/release-9-3.html
>
> Offtopic sorry for this ->
> If we want to reduce number of package we maintain we should start from ruby
> Eg.
> Gems we use are deprecated like 5 years ago and bring to the table a lot of
> efforts repackaging unsupported software.
>
> Regards,
>
> Artem Silenkov
> ---
> MOS-Packaging
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14 2015, Igor Kalnitsky wrote:
>>
>> > The things I want to notice are:
>> >
>> > * Currently we aren't tied up to PostgreSQL 9.3.
>> > * There's a patch [2] that ties Fuel up to PostgreSQL 9.3+ by using a
>> > set of JSON operations.
>>
>> I'm curious and have just a small side question: does that mean Fuel is
>> only going to be able to run with PostgreSQL?
>>
>> I also see
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/openstack-ha-fuel-postgresql,
>> maybe it's related?
>>
>> Thanks!