[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Nova] continuing the "multiple compute host" discussion

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:40:05 UTC 2015

A question but what filtering/scheduling would be done in which place;
any thoughts on the breakup between nova and ironic?

If say ironic knows about all baremetal resources and nova doesn't know
about them, then what kind of decisions can nova make during scheduling
time? I guess the same question exists for other clustered drivers, what
decision does nova really make for those types of drivers, is the
decision beneficial?

I guess the same question connects into various/most filters and how
they operate with clustered drivers:

For example if nova doesn't know about ironic baremetal resources, how
does the concept of an availability zone or aggregate, or compute
enabled/disabled filtering work (all these afaik are connected to
nova-compute *service* and/or services table, but with this clustering
model, which nova-compute proxies a request into ironic doesn't seem to
mean that much).

Anyone compiled (or thought about compiling) a list of concepts from
nova that *appear to* breakdown when a top level project (nova) doesn't
know about the resources its child projects (ironic...) contain? (maybe
an etherpad exists somewhere?)