[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Pin some puppet dependencies on git clone

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 19:25:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-12-11 at 21:50 +0100, Jaume Devesa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today TripleO CI jobs failed because a new commit introduced on
> puppetlabs-mysql[1].
> Mr. Jiri Stransky solved it as a temporally fix by pinning the puppet
> module clone to a previous
> commit in the tripleo-common project[2].
>
> source-repositories puppet element[3] allows you to pin the puppet
> module clone as well by
> adding a reference commit in the source-repository-<element-name>
> file. In this case,
> I am talking about the source-repository-puppet-modules[4].
>
> I know you TripleO guys are brave people that live dangerously in the
> cutting edge, but I think
> the dependencies to puppet modules not managed by the OpenStack
> community should be
> pinned to last repo tag for the sake of stability.
>
> What do you think?

I've previously considered added a stable puppet modules element for
just this case:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184844/

Using stable branches of things like MySQL, Rabbit, etc might make
sense. However I would want to consider following what the upstream
Puppet community does as well specifically because we do want to
continue using upstream openstack/puppet-* modules as well. At least
for our upstream CI.

We also want to make sure our stable TripleO jobs use the stable
branches of openstack/puppet-* so we might need to be careful about
pinning those things too.

Dan