[openstack-dev] [all] tox 2.3.0 broke tempest jobs

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Dec 13 23:55:45 UTC 2015

On 13 December 2015 at 03:20, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tempest jobs in all our projects seem to become broken after tox 2.3.0
> release yesterday. It's a regression in tox itself:
> https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox/issues/294
>
> I suggest us to add tox to upper-constraints to avoid this breakage for now
> and in the future: https://review.openstack.org/256947
>
> Note that we install tox in gate with no regard to global-requirements, so
> only upper-constraints can save us from tox releases.

Ah, friday releases. Gotta love them... on my saturday :(.

So - tl;dr AIUI:

 - the principle behind gating changes to tooling applies to tox as well
 - existing implementation of jobs in the gate precludes applying
upper-constraints systematically as a way to gate these changes
 - the breakage we experienced was due to already known-bad system images

Assuming that thats correct, my suggestion would be that we either
make tox pip installed during jobs (across the board), so that we can
in fact control it with upper-constraints, or we work on functional
tests of new images before they go-live

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>