[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Microversions support for extensions without Controller

Alexandre Levine alexandrelevine at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:18:55 UTC 2015

Hi all,

os-user-data extension implements server_create method to add user_data
for server creation. No Controller is used for this, only "class
UserData(extensions.V21APIExtensionBase)".

I want to add server_update method allowing to update the user_data.
Obviously I have to add it as a microversioned functionality.

And here is the problem: there is no information about the incoming
request version in this code. It is available for Controllers only. But
checking the version in controller would be too late, because the
instance is already updated (non-generator extensions are post-processed).

Can anybody guide me how to resolve this collision?

Would it be possible to just retroactively add the user_data
modification for the whole 2.1 version skipping the microversioning? Or
we need to change nova so that request version is passed through to
extension?

Best regards,
   Alex Levine