[openstack-dev] [ironic][qa] moving to devstack/grenade plugins

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Fri Dec 11 15:31:37 UTC 2015

Hi friends,

As you may already know from my IRC/gerrit spam, I'm working hard to
move Ironic to using devstack and grenade plugins, rather than being in
those projects directly. I wanted to lay out some notes on that here so
people know what's going on.

* The patches are all in this gerrit topic:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open++branch:master+topic:ironic-devstack-plugin,n,z

* The code to add the plugin to ironic has partially merged, with the
  rest coming down the pipe now:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/255879/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/255880/

* I've put a -1 on all devstack patches that touch the code moving, as
  those patches need to move to ironic's tree.

* We have a new, temporary, non-voting check job (pxe_ipa-dsplugin) that
  runs with the plugin enabled, as something to give us confidence in
  this work until it's turned on for all jobs.

* We need to complete the grenade move before removing ironic code from
  devstack, as the grenade jobs assume devstack/lib/ironic exists, which
  isn't guaranteed after moving to the plugin.

* Our grenade jobs don't work yet, so there's no need for weird
  transition patches to move to the grenade plugin - the jobs will just
  stay broken.

I think that's everything. I'd love your help on reviewing this stuff to
push this work through; there's a bunch of QA work we need to get done
that will be much easier after this. I'd also like to investigate doing
the same thing for tempest soon, but I expect that's a larger amount of
work.

// jim