[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Stable/Liberty Backports & Reviews

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 12:35:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,

So, after the painful process of getting CI working for stable/liberty,
everything is now working pretty well, and I have a few small requests to
hopefully help improve velocity for backports landing:

1. Please use git "cherry-pick -x" when backporting from master - this is a
small detail, but it makes it easier to spot when someone has accidentally
picked the wrong version of a patch from master, because the ChangeId will
still match in this case.

2. Please either wait until a patch lands on master before proposing to
stable, or mark the stable patch WIP until it does.  It's confusing to see
a "ready for review" patch for stable which hasn't landed on master, and it
will be very easy to accidentally land a patch too soon, or with the
wrong/stale version (which is one reason why I care about (1) ;)

3. Please review the stable branches!  I've created a new
gerrit-dash-creator to help identify the reviews:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/256379/ - this can probably be improved,
e.g it'd be nice to distinguish those patches which are passed CI, but it's a start.

4. When merge conflicts happen on the cherry-pick, please leave the
Conflicts: line in the commit message (move it to the body above the
Change-Id) - this helps reviewers pay special attention to files where
manual fixup was needed.

Also, please remember we agreed that if a tripleo-core is proposing a fix,
and it's a clean backport (no conflicts), we can consider their propsing it
as an implicit +2, thus only one reviewer is needed to approve (same as
normal stable-maint process).  This should help improve review velocity and
minimise the review burden for simple/clean backports.

Thanks!

Steve