[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Disable stringify_facts in 9.0

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at mirantis.com
Fri Dec 11 12:08:21 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

my sense of aesthetics was slightly disturbed when I saw that the mounts
fact[1] is implemented by joining mount points using a comma.

It turns out that what Alex did is completely right as Puppet up to 3.8
release has enabled stringify_facts by default. TLDR of that setting is
that anything that is returned by Facter, ends up as a string:

Facter says: ["/", "/boot", "/var", "/var/log"]
(Cool, an array.)

Puppet sees: "[\"/\", \"/boot\", \"/var\", \"/var/log\"]"
(Not so cool.)

In the result, any function that takes array as an argument either goes
postal or aborts.

I'd love to set stringify_facts to 'false' for 9.0 (as we're too late
for that in 8.0). It is already done in Puppet 4 (which transition to
I'd discuss maybe not this time) and apart from that, should decrease
the number of WTF per minute for deployment engineers.

What do you think?

Bartłomiej

[1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/q6ml86c