[openstack-dev] [QA][Tempest] Drop javelin off tempest

GHANSHYAM MANN ghanshyammann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:52:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

Yes, That's very valid point about there might be some real users or in future.

So Instead of deleting it, how about maintaining it. Only issue here
was gate did not
capture the issues when introduced in his tool.
But we can cover that using Unit tests and if really necessary we can
add experimental job for that.

2 thing we need
- Modify current unit tests to mock clients methods at deeper level
instead of complete service clients class.
- If really needed add experimental job for testing on gate.

Same issue we have for cleanup tool also, I need to check where we can
cover their testing(UT or gate job etc)

I vote it to keep that (which can be useful for some users (may be
future) who want to quickly tests their Cloud's resource
creation/deletion etc )

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:15:06AM +0100, Daniel Mellado wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In today's QA meeting we were discussing about dropping Javelin off
>> tempest if it's not being used anymore in grenade, as sdague pointed
>> out. We were thinking about this as a part of the work for [1], where we
>> hit issue on Javelin script testing where gate did not detect the
>> service clients changes in this script.
>
> So the reason we didn't remove this from tempest when we stopped using it as
> part of grenade is at the time there were external users. They still wanted to
> keep the tooling around. This is why the unit tests were grown in an effort to
> maintain some semblance of testing after the grenade removal. (for a long time
> it was mostly self testing through the grenade job)
>

>> Our intention it's to drop the following files off tempest:
>>
>>   * tempest/cmd/javelin.py
>>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254274/3/tempest/cmd/javelin.py>
>>   * tempest/cmd/resources.yaml
>>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254274/3/tempest/cmd/resources.yaml>
>>   * tempest/tests/cmd/test_javelin.py
>>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254274/3/tempest/tests/cmd/test_javelin.py>
>>
>> Before doing so, we'd like to get some feedback about out planned move,
>> so if you have any questions, comments or feedback, please reply to this
>> thread.
>
> You should not just delete these files, there were real users of it in the past
> and there might still be. If you're saying that javelin isn't something we can
> realistically maintain anymore (which I'm not sure I buy, but whatever) we
> should first mark it for deprecation and have a warning print saying it will be
> removed in the future. This gives people a chance to stop using it and migrate
> to something else. (using ansible would be a good alternative)
>

> -Matt Treinish
>

>> ---
>> [1]
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/tempest+branch:master+topic:bp/consistent-service-method-names,n,z