[openstack-dev] Mesos Conductor using container-create operations

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Wed Dec 9 23:05:32 UTC 2015

As Bharath mentioned, I am +1 to extend the "container" object to Mesos bay. In addition, I propose to extend "container" to k8s as well (the details are described in this BP [1]). The goal is to promote this API resource to be technology-agnostic and make it portable across all COEs. I am going to justify this proposal by a use case.

Use case:
I have an app. I used to deploy my app to a VM in OpenStack. Right now, I want to deploy my app to a container. I have basic knowledge of container but not familiar with specific container tech. I want a simple and intuitive API to operate a container (i.e. CRUD), like how I operated a VM before. I find it hard to learn the DSL introduced by a specific COE (k8s/marathon). Most importantly, I want my deployment to be portable regardless of the choice of cluster management system and/or container runtime. I want OpenStack to be the only integration point, because I don't want to be locked-in to specific container tech. I want to avoid the risk that a specific container tech being replaced by another in the future. Optimally, I want Keystone to be the only authentication system that I need to deal with. I don't want the extra complexity to deal with additional authentication system introduced by specific COE.

Solution:
Implement "container" object for k8s and mesos bay (and all the COEs introduced in the future).

That's it. I would appreciate if you can share your thoughts on this proposal.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/unified-containers

Best regards,
Hongbin