[openstack-dev] [midonet] Split up python-midonetclient

Antoni Segura Puimedon toni+openstackml at midokura.com
Wed Dec 9 13:41:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Galo Navarro <galo at midokura.com> wrote:

> Hi Sandro,
>
> >> 1) (Downstream) packaging: midonet and python-midonetclient are two
> >> distinct packages, and therefore should have distinct upstream
> >> tarballs - which are compiled on a per repo basis.
>
> This is actually not accurate: there is no such thing as a midonet
> package. The midonet repo produces 4 or 5 separate packages: agent,
> cluster, tools, py client.
>
> I'd like to understand a bit better what exactly you're trying to
> achieve. Is it to produce tarballs? All of them? Just
> python-midonetclient?
>
> Let's examine the concrete requirements before rushing headlong into
> highly disruptive changes like splitting repos. For example, a
> py-midonetclient tarball can be built already without having a
> separate repo.
>
> > 3) In order to put python-midonetclient on PyPI, it's probably
> > required to be in its own repo as well, isn't it? Because that's
> > another requirement [3]
>
> Ditto. We already have a mirror repo of pyc for this purpose
> https://github.com/midonet/python-midonetclient, synced daily.

Some of the problems with that is that it does not have any git log history
nor does it feel like a coding project at all.

Allow me to put forward a solution that will allow you keep the development
in the midonet tree while, at the same time, having a proper repository
with identifiable patches in github.com/midonet/python-midonetclient

Look at the repo I created [1] and specially at its commit history [2]

As you can see, it has all the commit history relevant for the
midonet/python-midonetclient (and only that one) is present.

This is generated in the following way. There should be job that does once
in the
midonet repo:

    git format-patch -o "${HOME}/patches_current
--relative=python-midonetclient \
    7aef7ea7845a2125696303a277d40bd45c9240e2..master

Then, each day it should do:

    cd ${JOB_HOME}
    git clone https://github.com/celebdor/python-midonetclient.git
    git clone https://github.com/midonet/midonet.git

    pushd midonet
    git format-patch -o "${JOB_HOME}/patches_new"
--relative=python-midonetclient \
    7aef7ea7845a2125696303a277d40bd45c9240e2..master
    popd
    pushd python-midonetclient

    for file in `diff <(ls -1a "${HOME}/patches_current") <(ls -1a
"${JOB_HOME}/patches_new") | cut -f2 -d' '`
    do
    git am < "${JOB_HOME}/patches_new/$file"
    done

    popd
    mv patches_new "${HOME}/patches_current"

It should be quite straightforward to change whichever job you currently
use to
this.

The last remaining issue will be that of tags. github.com/midonet/midonet
is not
tagging all the releases. However, python-midonetclient should, so I would
just
ask that when you make a release you push the tag to python-midonetclient
as well.

[1] https://github.com/celebdor/python-midonetclient/
[2] https://github.com/celebdor/python-midonetclient/commits/master

Regards,