[openstack-dev] [TripleO][DIB] diskimage-builder and python 2/3 compatibility

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 09:35:15 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 07:15 AM, Gregory Haynes wrote:
> We ran in to a couple issues adding Fedora 23 support to
> diskimage-builder caused by python2 not being installed by default.
> This can be solved pretty easily by installing python2, but given that
> this is eventually where all our supported distros will end up I would
> like to find a better long term solution (one that allows us to make
> images which have the same python installed that the distro ships by
> default).

So I wonder if we're maybe hitting premature optimisation with this

> We use +x and a #! to specify a python
> interpreter, but this needs to be python3 on distros which do not ship a
> python2, and python elsewhere.

> Create a symlink in the chroot from /usr/local/bin/dib-python to
> whatever the apropriate python executable is for that distro.

This is a problem for anyone wanting to ship a script that "just
works" across platforms.  I found a similar discussion about a python
launcher at [1] which covers most points and is more or less what
is described above.

I feel like contribution to some sort of global effort in this regard
might be the best way forward, and then ensure dib uses it.

-i

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/linux-sig/2015-October/000000.html