[openstack-dev] [all] using reno for release note management

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:12:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> This morning the Puppet OpenStack had the weekly meeting [1] and we
> discussed about using reno [2] for release note management.
>
> We saw three possibilities:
>
> 1/ we use reno and enforce each contributions (bugfix, feature, etc) to
> also edit a release note YAML file
> 2/ we use reno and the release note YAML file can be updated later (by
> the contributor or someone else)

This option is also how we use Reno in Mistral project, since it doesn't
make much sense we write something for all the code changes merged into the
project. I only recommend contributors to submit a releatenote file if the
bugfix is really so critical that we want deployers or users to know, or
it's a feature we want to share, or the change affects upgrade... etc. It's
better that contributors could submit another patch which depends on the
code changes.

3/ we don't use reno and continue to manually write release notes

> The solution 3/ is definitely not in our scope and we are willing to use
> reno. Though we are looking for a way to switch using it.
>
> Some people in our group shared some feedback, and ideas. Feel free to
> comment inline:
>
> * Having a YAML file for one feature/bugfix/... sounds heavy.
> * We have 23 repositories (modules) - we will probably start using reno
> for one or two modules, and see how it works.
> * We will apply 2/ with the goal to go 1/ one day. We think directly
> doing 1/ will have the risk to frustrate our group since not anyone is
> familiar with releases. Giving -1 to a good patch just because it does
> not have a release note update is not something we want now. We need to
> educate people at using it, that's why I think we might go 2/.
> * Using reno will spread the release note management to our group,
> instead of one release manager taking care of that.
>
> Feel free to have more feedback or comment inline, we are really willing
> to suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/PuppetOpenStack#Previous_meetings