[openstack-dev] [midonet] Split up python-midonetclient

Guillermo Ontañón guillermo at midokura.com
Tue Dec 8 12:54:03 UTC 2015

Hi Sandro,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Sandro Mathys <sandro at midokura.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Takashi Yamamoto raised in another thread [0], python-midonetclient
> should be split out into its own repo

I'm strongly against on this one. Stuff in the midonet/ repo is
developed in sync with python-midonetclient (and much more so today
that it's an internal api), and even depends on it, all the tests/
directory in midonet/ depends on python-midonetclient. A split would
make a lot of workflows costlier / inconvenient / impossible (for
instance, it becomes impossible to gate properly when a patch
introduces changes to the rest api).

>  There's two major reasons for
> this:
>
> 1) (Downstream) packaging: midonet and python-midonetclient are two
> distinct packages, and therefore should have distinct upstream
> tarballs - which are compiled on a per repo basis.

It is fairly common for a single source tarball to produce multiple
binary packages. In fact, midonet produces 4 binary packages, are you
proposing that we split out midonet-tools and midonet-cluster too?

> 2) When adding repositories to OpenStack, they need to be tagged.
> There's a bunch of tags, and one category is the "type": library [1]
> or service [2]. Now midonet is a service, but python-midonetclient is
> a library so they need to be separate repositories.

I find it hard to buy this argument, the midonet repository includes
several other internal libraries and we are not splitting those out.

Regards,